Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Where I Am Wednesdays: Piano Lessons

So I'm on the road, on my way back to Texas, when I hear David Benoit's version of Linus and Lucy- a song I could never master on the piano when I was young. And now that I think about it, I may never master it- along with Henry Mancini's Baby Elephant Walk- as an adult, either. For whatever reason, my mind only allows my hands to play Waltzes with grace and ease...weird, I know. So, needless to say, I spend my piano time playing anything but Mancini or Guaraldi. But I digress...
All of this got me to thinking about providing piano lessons, a thought I had entertained a few times before, but never took any steps to actually find students or even prepare a lesson plan. Well, fairly recently, I've been approached by a few parents wanting lessons for their children. Now I'm truly faced with having to create a lesson plan. So, for the next three weeks (when my first student starts) I'll be doing exactly that.
My lessons will include: exercises in technique including scales, runs, and phrases; theory (essential if one is truly interested in musical growth!) including vocabulary and music appreciation; repertoire; and how to practice at home. Now it's just a matter of format!
For those of you who might actually take note, no matter where your lessons come from the aforementioned music subjects are equally important to learn. Just like at school, oral & practical applications are just as essential to our minds' growth as written ones, and vice versa. Hope your teacher feels the same way.  Also, it's important that your teacher understands each student is an individual, and will most likely learn differently than the student before.
I can't imagine how hard the following 10 years of playing instruments would have been, had my teacher not laid such a strong foundation for me that first year!
I'm so excited to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment