Thursday, June 30, 2011

Themed Thursdays: Recipes

The 4th of July holiday is closing in so I thought it would be nice to share some festive recipes in case you're throwing or attending a potluck holiday party.
One of the recipes I am sharing (and have tried) can be found in the July issue of Women's Day. The other can be found on the Food Network (will try this weekend)...

CORNY CUPCAKES
This recipe has you make Everything from scratch- from the cake to the frosting. I didn't have time for this on my first attempt so I had no shame in purchasing cake from a box and frosting in a can. Tasted quite good, if I do say so myself!
For the jelly beans, I got mine from Target, which has a great bulk candy/snacks section. You'll need about a pound of beans to cover every inch of cake, though I only used about a half-pound and just spaced them out (if you don't want to eat the beans then buying fewer and spacing them out will make it easier to pick them all off). Don't worry about getting perfectly yellow or white beans, as long as they're yellowish and whitish shades they'll look good on the cake. Also, don't worry about the flavors, they'll all be good on the cake!
Now I wasn't able to find any black sugar crystals so I just opted out of the "salt and pepper" look. Don't have any corn-on-the-cob holders? Your local dollar store will have them!
Here's a link to the official recipe and a picture of my first attempt (keep in mind I did this in about a hurried hour, please :)
Women's Day Corny Cupcakes



PATRIOTIC BERRY TRIFLE
Since I haven't actually tried this recipe yet, I'll just provide the link and a pic.
I'm so excited about this one because it's perfect to share- I don't like berries but my son does, he doesn't need the cake or sugar...well I don't either, actually. Oh well!
Food Network (Sunny Anderson) Patriotic Berry Trifle


No comments:

Post a Comment